With our busy schedules, it’s easy to put our health on the sidelines; we don’t schedule regular checkups and we tell ourselves that we can deal with the pain. Today, these choices may only affect you, but as time passes and your ailments remain untreated, it has a greater chance of affecting your loved ones. We have created a small checklist to help get you started on on your path to wellness.
- 1. If you do not have a primary care physician: Find one.
- 2. Schedule a yearly physical – they are called yearly physicals because they should be done yearly.
- 3. If you are 40 or older, schedule an exercise stress test to uncover any significant conditions that may not be showing any symptoms.
- 4. Make exercise a priority and resolve to integrate both strength and cardiovascular conditioning to your training.
- 5. Strive to get enough rest and sleep daily – a minimum of 6 hours of sleep nightly.
- 6. Eat a complete/fulfilling diet involving plenty of greens and all the major food groups (including protein and good fats).
- 7. Do not just ignore pain because you are able to work through it until you know that it is something that is medically OK to train through.
- 8. Realize that all questions are important – every question is worth asking especially when it involves your health and wellness!