Becoming physically active requires a conscious effort for most adults. Develop an exercise program to fit your individual goals. Be sure to consider ways to increase your activity levels throughout the day. Every little bit helps! If you find it too challenging to fit 30 minutes of activity into your day, break it up into 10 to 15-minute intervals and accumulate your activity throughout the day.
Exercise Tips to Activate your lifestyle.
Challenge yourself to move more! Find ways to become more active in your daily living. For example, you can:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Take a 10-minute stretch or walk break at work.
- Turn on the music and vacuum.
- Wash your own car – and your neighbor’s too.
- Do strength-training exercises in front of the TV
- Park in the furthest parking space and walk.
Make Fitness fun!
The secret to a successful fitness program is enjoyment! Choose physical activities that you enjoy doing. This could mean walking, playing tennis, biking or joining a team sport.
- Consider trying something different, such as yoga or kickboxing.
- Coach a youth sports team – your rewards will be many.
- Enter a race – it will motivate you.
- Plant a garden and share its beauty and bounty.
- Make Sunday walks or hikes a weekly tradition.
- Set up a morning walking or biking club; exercise buddies can help you be honest.
Anticipate the unexpected.
Lousy weather, travel (both business and pleasure) and the ups and downs of daily life can play havoc with your best-laid fitness plan. Always have a backup plan. If it is raining have an indoor activity to do, If you are taking a trip, throw in your walking shoes or a jump rope and fit in exercise when you can.
In addition to being stronger and more fit aerobic exercise has so many health benefits. If you need help getting started or need some motivation to contact your physical therapist. They can work with you to create an exercise plan that works for you and your ability levels. You are never too old to be more active!