This Physical Therapy Month we want patients to try physical therapy first! Physical therapy is a safe non-invasive form of treatment for patients experiencing musculoskeletal pain or injuries.
PHYSICAL THERAPY is a safe and SMART alternative to opioids.
Great candidates to be referred to physical therapy instead of prescribing pain pills include:
- A patient that has had pain for more than 90 days
- A patient that complains of pain disturbing their sleep or daily activities
- A patient that has a history of substance abuse or has been on pain medication for an extended period of time
- A patient that expresses an interest in avoiding opioids
Try physical therapy and see the difference!
This PT Month, instead of using prescribed pain killers, try physical therapy first.
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE PHYSICAL THERAPY OVER PRESCRIPTION PAIN KILLERS
Physical therapy treats the cause of pain, more often than not leaving patients stronger and more able to enjoy life and function fully. In stark contrast, pain relievers treat only the symptoms – and can leave patients dependent or addicted.
PHYSICAL THERAPY IS THE SMART ALTERNATIVE TO OPIOIDS
More than 40 people die every day from overdoses involving prescription opioids. At least half of opioid overdose deaths involve a prescription opioid.
Wishing everyone a wonderful PT Month!
Information provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. To learn more about the CDC click here.
Benefits of Physical Therapy Over Pain Killers and Surgery:
- Conservative treatment with physical therapy has no side effects
- Treat the cause of the problem and not just the symptoms
- The best effect is getting you more involved in a healthy lifestyle
- Affordable and covered under most insurance plans
As Physical Therapists We Provide:
- Improved awareness
- Increase strength and flexibility
- Education and exercise designed to prevent future injuries
- A program that increases your overall strength and flexibility
- Modifications of movement for daily living
DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU HAVE…
If you are experiencing physical pain going to physical or occupational therapy for a musculoskeletal screening first may result in long term solutions without the use of expensive prescriptions or tests such as MRI’s, and reduces the risk of re-injury.
Physical Therapy is equally effective In treating degenerative knee disease. One of the most common orthopedic procedures in the United States — knee arthroscopic surgery — is proving to be an unnecessary course of action for many patients who have a torn meniscus in their knee.
Source: New England Journal Of Medicine: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1305189?query=featured_home&
Physical Therapists are key to helping in the recovery from concussion by monitoring the physical, mental, and emotional symptoms of an athlete to determine when they are no longer symptomatic.
We understand that you are concerned with maintaining your health. So ask your medical provider if physical therapy is the right choice for you. By trying physical therapy first, it is likely that you can reduce or remove the need for surgery, as well as remove the risk of dependence on prescription pain killers.